Friday 5 February 2016

'Industrial' Butterflies

Addicted to Art - Tim Holtz Industrial Technique - Butterfly Duo
Hello!

A little update to this scheduled post....
A big thanks for all the lovely congratulations messages on my lucky Tim Tag win for January - thank you all.  Coincidentally I refer to it in this post, so if you missed it see below!

Well this looks like a simple project - but it took me ages! Well, ok, lot's of that time was looking, procrastinating and leaving it for another day.... ever do one of those - when you just can't decide how to proceed?

In the end I kept it fairly simple as you can see. Today see's a new challenge at A Vintage Journey - the theme being to use the Industrial technique. I didn't want to make an industrial project though - so went with the strange combination of rusty metal and elegant butterflies.

Quite timely using this theme following Tim Holtz's January tag - so if you missed how to do this technique - check out the master himself - here. If you have time and missed it - here is my version of Tim's January tag - quite different to his!
So back to my shadow box (Ikea by the way). These are the inner elements...
The background panel is just vintage photo ink off the craft mat and a little flicking of water. I then added some perfect pearls gold spray which you may not see well in the photos.
The butterflies were cut from metal foil stuck to card and then embossed. Black soot paint was added and wiped away after drying a little. I added some rust alcohol ink and lightly sanded.
My frame was covered in tissue wrap before adding watered down paint and a little gesso in places. I sanded the edges a little and added darker paint. The inner frame was sponged with brown paint and once dry a little gesso.
 
As I write this I am looking forward to seeing what my talented team mates at A Vintage Journey have created - do hop over and take a peek and maybe join in the challenge.

Talking of challenges... I would like to enter:
See you next time
Nikki
xxx

25 comments:

  1. I'm in love with your butterflies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Industrial technique is one of my favourite techniques! Love your use of it in this piece! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Nikki, gorgeous industrial butterflies which sit beautifully across the metallic sheen panel. Such a simple but highly effective combination.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this minimalist approach to industrial and that frame, oh that frame!!! Brilliant Nikki! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki what a lovely frame you created. I love the effect of the papper you added on the edges. And the butterflies look fabulous. Love that grungy look. You really made a lovely piece of art.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs from Monica......Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the industrious technique but you have taken it up a notch with your addition of the alcohol ink, the butterflies are sensational Nikki and the frame is wonderful! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Fabulous piece of wall Art ! Nikki - So elegant and classy . Your butterflies are stunning and love the stamping on the frame. I can definitely relate to the uncertainty of 'how to proceed' you describe. lol
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Nikki ! I absolutely love the butterflies and the stamping on the frame looks wonderful. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous framed piece Nikki. I adore your rusted butterflies they add wonderful movement to your design and the frame is gorgeous. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous project Nikki! I love the metal butterflies, what a great way to combine the elements of nature and industrial together in one piece! Fabulous touches of gold!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pleased your tag won Nikki - and this piece is awesome too - fabulous! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nikki - this is so serene and beautiful - I LOVE your butterflies and that background!! And congratulations on your win - no brainer!! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic idea Nikki, such a cool make!! The background is stunning and the effect on your industrial butterflies looks superb!!
    I missed you were one of Tim's winners, big congrats and enjoy your goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Nikki, love the combination of the butterflies with the industrial technique, a study in contrasts that works beautifully! And the finish on your frame is wonderful as well, love the aged vintage patina of the tissue wrap, a perfect accompaniment to your butterflies. And congratulations on your Tim tag win! I haven't had a chance to see his February tag yet so hadn't seen last months winners, way to go! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab butterflies Nikki and a big congrats on your win too ;)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am a huge fan of the industrial techniques and these butterflies so the combination.. brilliant...adding alcohol ink instead of paint...over the top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the butterflies Nikki. You have really done this theme up right. S@ndy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous, industrial butterflies Nikki ! Congratualtions on your Tim tag win too ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore your subtle delicate take on the Industrial theme - your weathered metallic butterflies look spectacular. Big congrats on your tag win - yay!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful frame wall hanging Nikki! you made industrial look quite elegant! love the colors and golden shimmer on the panel - your great technique in covering your frame and the beautiful metalic butterflies! Well done! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this fabulous make Nikki xx The butterflies look super ......I shall certainly consider using that technique for smaller items. Love the details on your frame too.

    Sending my best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful art with the fabulous metallic butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ii love this! Your butterflies are so gorgeous and look fab in the frame! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Niki, forgive my absence! But I've already had a peek or two. Just no time to write a decent comment! You know how I love to write a novel!

    This has got to be an all time favorite of mine, and looks like it needs to head to the nearest fine art gallery! Stunning use of the industrial technique on those butterflies,and doI ever have embossing folder envy! Great use of alcohol inks followed by a good sanding. I'm going to have to remember this! Grungy goodness on butterflies, NO LESS!!!

    The way you finished the frame is art enough! Just amazing what you have done here! Pinned 'cause I love it A LOT! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Niki, forgive my absence! But I've already had a peek or two. Just no time to write a decent comment! You know how I love to write a novel!

    This has got to be an all time favorite of mine, and looks like it needs to head to the nearest fine art gallery! Stunning use of the industrial technique on those butterflies,and doI ever have embossing folder envy! Great use of alcohol inks followed by a good sanding. I'm going to have to remember this! Grungy goodness on butterflies, NO LESS!!!

    The way you finished the frame is art enough! Just amazing what you have done here! Pinned 'cause I love it A LOT! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Back again - Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Nikki